Senior Home Care Toronto

Knowing what to ask is the first step in getting the senior home care services that you need.

Whether your uncle is returning home from the hospital, or your mom is just not safe at home on her own anymore, having the right senior home care can make a huge difference in his or her well-being, and everyone’s peace of mind.

The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care website offers a wealth of detailed information and advice.

You can learn more about senior home care and get a better idea of whether it may be right for you or the senior you are helping. You’ll also find detail about Ontario’s programs to assist seniors at home and in the community. These range from bathing help to provision of assistive devices, such as wheelchairs or oxygen and its equipment. Some devices are covered under OHIP; some come with grants to help cover costs and some need to be paid for privately. Learn more about the Ministry of Health programs

Contact your Local Health Integration Network (LHIN), previously called the Community Care Access Center (CCAC) to find out about which Senior home care services may be available to you.

You do not need a Doctor’s referral to request service through LHIN. You can contact them directly for an assessment. There are a variety of services available through the LHIN. They include personal care, occupational therapy, speech therapy, dietetic advice, nursing care and social work. The LHIN’s assessment of your needs will determine the amount and type of care that will be available to you. For more information  Phone:310-2222 (no area code)  or visit the LHIN website.

What happens when LHIN is not able to provide the amount of senior home care that a client needs?

The LHIN does provide a wide range of services; however, they are generally task specific – help with bathing, injections, wound care and so on. The number of visits often is limited from the start. For example, the LHIN may allow only three visits by a physiotherapist – one per week – after discharge from a hospital.

Usually, the Personal Support Worker (PSW) caregiver or Registered Nurse provided by the LHIN performs the one task assigned – help with bathing, injections, wound care, etc. –  and leaves. It is not a case-managed service, where the Registered Nurse and PSWs continually evaluate the well-being of the client and make additional visits, perform additional duties or coordinate other members of the health care team to make sure things are progressing as they should be.

It is not generally within the scope of work for LHIN providers to offer help with homemaking, meal preparation and medication administration. Similarly, They don’t generally accompany clients to medical appointments, on grocery shopping, etc.  Note: Hiring a company directly to provide care, in addition to what is offered by the LHIN, will not reduce the services or hours of senior home care service that you are entitled to from LHIN.

Note: The LHIN supervisor you are working with may or may not recommend a provider for services beyond those offered by LHIN. Eldercare Home Health can provide the supplementary care your family member needs and can schedule care around the hours offered by the LHIN to be as efficient as possible.

FREE assessment by a Registered NurseCall Now! 416-482-8292

Don't want things to get worse?
Call Now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.